Three Arcata residents entered no contest pleas Thursday to charges associated with the fatal stabbing of a popular Abruzzi chef and musician late last year.
Juan Joseph Ferrer, 35, pleaded no contest to a single charge of involuntary manslaughter for the Nov. 25 fatal stabbing of Douglas Allen Anderson-Jordet, 50, after an early morning altercation near the intersection of 12th and H streets in Arcata. The two others -- 24-year-old Sophie Buttercup Rocheleau and 28-year-old Nicholas Benjamin Stoiber -- pleaded no contest to lesser charges.
Humboldt County Superior Court Judge Joyce Hinrichs accepted Ferrer's plea and said he faces up to four years in prison and three years probation.
All three suspects were present in the courtroom, but only Ferrer was in custody, wearing a bright orange jail jumpsuit and handcuffs.
Deputy District Attorney Elan Firpo said that Ferrer's charge was reduced from murder after review of the evidence.
”In hearing the evidence, it was three strangers that got into a fight that went horribly wrong,” Firpo said. “(Ferrer) didn't seek to kill Mr. Jordet.”
Anderson-Jordet died from a single stab wound to the heart.
Rocheleau pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of battery after initially being charged with assault by means likely to produce bodily harm. Stoiber also pleaded no contest to the charge of assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury.
All three of the defendants may also be required to pay restitution fees to Anderson-Jordet's family, ranging from $300 to $10,000.
As he was being escorted out of the courtroom, Ferrer looked at members of the public seated in the court and whispered, “Love you.”
Ferrer, Rocheleau and Stoiber are scheduled to be sentenced on April 3 at 2 p.m. at the Humboldt County Courthouse.