Click photo to enlarge

A baby was saved from a fire on Monday after a resident of the two-story house near College of the Redwoods heard the smoke detector go off and grabbed the child.

”In this case, most likely, the smoke detector saved the child's life,” Humboldt Bay Fire Chief Ken Woods said. “That fire advanced very rapidly in that room. Anybody in that room probably would have perished from smoke inhalation.”

At about 11 a.m., Humboldt Bay Fire, CalFire and the Loleta and Fortuna volunteer fire departments were dispatched to a fire on the 7000 block of Tompkins Hill Road. No one was injured, Woods said.

”When our first engine got there, they had heavy fire showing from the second story of the building,” Woods said. “Crews went in and contained the fire to the second story and the attic.”

The blaze, which resulted in about $40,000 in damage, began in the infant's room.

The preliminary cause of the fire appears to be a floor heater, Woods said.

Lorna Rodriguez can be reached at 441-0506 or lrodriguez@times-standard.com. Follow her on Twitter @LornaARodriguez.


Advertisement