SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco residents were allowed to return to their homes Tuesday after they were told to leave because of a ruptured a gas line.
Authorities knocked on doors and escorted 16 people from a dozen multi-residential buildings near a popular San Francisco park, said San Francisco Fire Department spokesman Jonathan Baxter. Many other residents not at home weren't allowed into their residences until the evacuation was lifted about 90 minutes later.
Pacific Gas and Electric said workers crimped a 4-inch (10-centimeter) pipe damaged by the contractor working on a street project. One person reported breathing in the gas and was treated at the scene.
Leaking gas can cause nausea and lightheadedness. Baxter also said, "with any gas leak there is the potential for an explosion."
The park is famous for a historical row of Victorian houses that have appeared on postcards and on TV.