Small kitchen fire at Fortuna High

No one was injured after a fire broke out in Fortuna High School's culinary classroom on Tuesday.

Students were evacuated, and all of 12th Street was closed for a time, officials said.

"It sounds like there was some sort of grease fire in one of the ovens," Fortuna Police Department Sgt. Charles Ellebrecht said. "There was minimal damage, just to the immediate stove area and oven area."

The blaze was extinguished by teacher Stacy Chatfield, but Fortuna Volunteer Fire Department personnel responded to clean up the scene. Fire Chief Lon Winburn said the fire was out before they arrived.

"Stacy did a great job putting out the fire with the help of one of the students and they got everyone out of the building," Winburn said. "It was a single engine response, and we got there and helped get the minimal smoke out of the building."

Submitted photo

Students were evacuated when a fire caused damage to an oven and stovetop in the Fortuna High School kitchen on Feb. 25.