Sanderson, Peeples Jr., Palmer top racers

Penny Elsebusch

Beacon Correspondent

It was back to school night at Redwood Acres Raceway on Aug. 24 and a lot of backpacks were won in drawings held.

REAL STOCK: Matt Simon won the trophy dash. Michael Lawrence took the early lead in the heat race but Dustin Walters took it away. Nick Green got past Lawrence and ran side by side with Walters but Walters pulled off the win with Green in second and Lawrence in third. Matt Simon took the lead and stretched it out over the rest of the field for the Main Event win, leaving the others to battle it out for second and third. Harvey Holm got past Walters to run in second and Green moved into third when Walters spun and they finished in that order.

ROADRUNNER: Gary Klinetobe won the trophy dash. At the start of the heat race, Eugene Palmer hit the turn 1 wall but was able to continue. Jordon Paiment got past Gray Ethridge for the lead with Klinrtobe moving into second and Ethridge third and they finished in that order. The Roadrunners Main Event was the last race of the evening. Ken Barrett got off to a slow start and ended up retiring to the pits. Palmer held the lead with Brett Murrelll driving Robbie Robinson's car in second spot. Klinetobe blew a tire in turn 3 for a yellow flag. Palmer was able to hold the lead after the restart and won with Murrell in second and Paiment in third.

THUNDER ROADSTER: David Henderson won the trophy dash after coming from the back when Paul Peeples Jr. spun him. Peeples was sent to the pits for the infraction. Mike Ward took the lead in the heat race but Chris Sarvinski took it away. Peeples Jr. had come from the back of the pack, getting past Ward but could not get by Sarvinski who won with Peeples in second and Ward in third. At the start of the main event, Les Barnwell had contact with Belinda Ward bringing out a yellow flag when she spun. Sarvinski and Tommy Payne were battling for the lead but Peeples had moved up and took the lead with Payne in second and Henderson in third. Henderson got past Payne and then Sarvinski passed Payne. Henderson was catching Peeples, but collided with Craig Baker on the back straight. Henderson was able to continue but Sarvinski took over second spot. Peeples won, Sarvinski finished second and Henderson was third.

SPORTSMAN: Kenny Demello won the trophy dash. Demello took the lead in the heat race but Jerry Peterson was trying to pass Demello on the outside line and they ran side by side with Peterson nipping Demello at the checker for the win with Demello in second and Roger Sanderson in third. Demello took the lead in the main event with Angelo Marcelli running side by side but they had contact and the yellow flag was out. This gave Roger Sanderson the lead. Demello brought out another yellow when he spun in turn 2. Sanderson held the lead at the restart. Ken Hallis spun on the back straight for another yellow flag. Sanderson took the win with Peterson in second and Demello in third.

The next race is Sept. 14.