At the Races

Penny Elsebusch

Beacon Correspondent

Race fans showed up in droves for the races on May 19 and saw good exciting racing and some close finishes.

REAL STOCK: Nick Green won the Trophy Dash. Brian Murrell Jr., driving Steve Kimberling's car, took the lead at the start of the Heat race, but slid high and the pack freight-trained past him, giving the lead to Dax Kinsey. Spinning cars brought out the caution flag. Casey Mitchell had been dogging Kinsey for the lead and finally got around him on the outside to take the lead. Ronnie O'Neill's car spewed water on the track bringing out another yellow. Mitchell held onto the lead at the restart and took the win followed by Kinsey and Green. Tyler Avelar jumped into the lead at the start of the Main Event. The yellow came out when Murrell Jr. and William Sand tangled. Before the restart, Avelar went to the pits. Green held the lead at the restart followed by Hyman, Jim Redd, Kinsey and Mitchell. Kinsey spun as did another car and the yellow flew. After the restart, Hyman got past Green and Mitchell tagged along and they stretched out the lead leaving the run for third up to the pack. At the checker it was Hyman, Mitchell and Kinsey.

ROADRUNNERS: Josh Hansen won the Trophy Dash. In the first Heat race, it took several restarts after caution flags flew for collisions and spins. Gray Ethridge had the early lead but Steve Paiment took it away when Ethridge slid high and Jordon Paiment tagged along. At the checker, Steve took the win with his son Jordon Paiment in second and Brian Murrell Sr. in third. In the second Heat race, Ken Barrett took the lead and held on to win leaving the rest of the pack to battle for position. Michael Lawrence had jumped into the second spot but Hansen took it away to finish in second and Lawrence in third. Barrett took the lead in the Main followed by Steve Paiment, Brett Murrell and Thomas Halvorsen. Halvorsen and Murrell passed back and forth with Murrell getting the spot and passing Paiment with Halvorsen following. Hansen hit the turn 4 wall and went to the pits. At the checker it was Barrett, Murrell and Halvorsen nipping hard charging Lawrence. Barrett's front brake rotors were glowing red toward the end of the Main which is unusual for the small stock cars.

THUNDER ROADSTERS: Allen OIson won the Trophy Dash. Fergy Ferguson took the lead in the first of two Heat races. Lance Martins, driving in his first race in this car, hit the back straight wall, damaging lots of parts on the right side of the car and the yellow was out. At the restart Chris Sarvinski got past Ferguson with Belinda Ward running in third and they finished in that order. Bruce Ziemer took the lead in the second Heat but Olson took it away with Paul Peeples Jr. getting past Ziemer too. Olson held on to the lead for most of the race but Peeples managed to get past him for the win with Olson in second and Tommy Payne in third. Sarvinski jumped into the lead at the start of the 30 lap Main but slid high and Henderson took the inside line with Olson sandwiched in the middle. Olson wisely backed out of the three wide race as it usually ends in a crash which is what happened to Lonnie Tamboury after a three car wide run and the yellow came out when Tamboury hit the wall. Peeples was on the move and had come up to fourth spot. Peeples got under Olson who was again in the middle with Sarvinski in the high line and Sarvinski backed out avoiding a crash. Payne got past Sarvinski to run in fourth. At the checker it was Henderson, Peeples Jr., Olson and Payne. Martins' background is motocross and dirt track cars. Ziemer and his wife celebrated their 31st wedding anniversary that night and Ziemer's wife was at the track to cheer him on.

SPORTSMAN: Brandon Barnwell won the Trophy Dash. Kenny Demello took the lead from the front row in the Heat race followed by Angelo Marcelli. Kevin Estep got past Marcelli and then passed Demello on the outside for the lead. Barnwell and Dennis DelBiaggio had moved into second and third with Marcelli headed for the pits. Estep stretched the lead and took the win with Barnwell in second and DelBiaggio in third. Kenny Demello took the lead in the 30 lap Main but Barnwell passed him on the outside and Demello suddenly pulled into the infield in turn 4 with an engine problem. At lap 5, Barnwell led, DelBiaggio was second, Estep and Jeremy Yarberry was fourth. Marcelli went to the pits. Estep ran up and into DelBiaggio and both tagged the turn 2 wall. Marcelli was in and out of the pits. Barnwell led followed by DelBiaggio and Estep and pulled a little away from them. Estep got past DelBiaggio but they could not chase down Barnwell and Barnwell took the win with Estep in second and DelBiaggio a close third. After the race Demello said he broke a crank and Barnwell said he has an extra crate motor that he would loan to Demello so he will be back on the track in three weeks. Barnwell said after he stopped to pick up his win trophy, when he restarted his car it had no brakes! It was announced that Marcelli's dad turned 88 years old.

The next race is June 9 and will feature the IMCA Modifieds and include the four regular classes.

Photo Caption:

Photo by Penny Elsebusch/Beacon

Brandon Barnwell with daughter, Allison, was winner of the Sportsman Trophy Dash and Main Event.